Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Properly disposing of lead fishing tackle just got easier in Wisconsin

A list of metal recyclers that accept lead tackle is now available on the DNR website.

Many loons are killed by lead poisoning each year when they inadvertently swallow lead fishing tackle. Lead poisoning from ingested tackle usually occurs in one of two ways, a lead jig head is swallowed by a fish, or lost lead tackle is picked up along with small stones and grit from the bottom of lakes to help digest food. Fish, loons, eagles, trumpeter swans, and many other wildlife species are consuming lead in one or both of these ways, and the results can be fatal.

Using non-lead tackle and properly disposing of lead tackle can help reduce needless wildlife deaths.

No comments: